A recent poll indicated a dramatic increase in plastic surgery, due in part to patients becoming more aware of their image on social media. If you’re thinking about a selfie makeover, the smartest place to start is actually with your smile.
The poll was conducted by the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). It revealed that in 2013, one in three of its 2,700 members saw an increase in procedure requests from patients who were unhappy with their image on social media, often through selfies.
This included a 10 percent rise in rhinoplasties, a 7 percent spike in hair transplants and a 6 percent increase in eyelid surgery.
While plastic surgery is certainly one way to alter your appearance, the first place you should start is your smile. Having confidence in your smile is the key to being happy with your overall image. Here are a few procedures to get you there:
Three Procedures to Improve Your Self-Confidence
1. Teeth whitening – Teeth whitening is a simple procedure that can can make your smile glisten and give you a shot of confidence.
The process of aging, as well as your food choices, medications and habits, such as smoking, all contribute to the discoloration of your teeth. However, the bleaching process behind teeth whitening can help remove many of these deep stains, giving you a naturally whiter and brighter smile. Here are the two whitening options:
- In-office treatment – Taking less than an hour to complete, this is the most efficient way to whiten your teeth.We begin by framing your teeth with a material that protects your gums and lips from the bleaching solution. Then, we apply the whitening solution directly to your teeth, and activate it with a special light every fifteen minutes.In under an hour, the process is finished, completely transforming your smile in one quick visit.
- At-home treatment – Most of our patients choose to whiten their teeth with our at-home treatment.For this method, we provide you with custom-fit trays formed to the unique construct of your smile. Once at home, you place a whitening gel into the tray, which is worn for a couple of hours at a time.Treatment length varies by patient, but generally lasts no more than a few weeks.
2. Dental crowns – A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that is placed over a tooth for a variety of reasons, including restoring its shape, size, strength or overall appearance.
Once in place, a crown fully encases the entire visible portion of the tooth it covers from the gum line up. A crown may be used for the following reasons:
- To restore a broken or severely worn down tooth
- To protect a weak tooth from breaking
- To support a tooth with a large filling
- To cover a deformed or discolored tooth
- For other cosmetic reasons
3. Invisalign – Invisalign is a less visible alternative to braces that relies on clear retainer-like aligners to shift crooked teeth and improper bites into the correct position. With the power to completely transform a person’s teeth, it can restore confidence in your smile and overall appearance.
Patients who chose Invisalign are often attracted to the fact that, unlike bulky braces, they are nearly impossible to see, and much easier to manage.
The technology relies upon custom-made transparent aligners, which you wear for no less than 22 hours per day. They are easily removable for eating, drinking and cleaning your teeth. Every two weeks, you put in a new set of aligners, which will continue to shift your teeth incrementally.
The length of treatment varies by patient and case, but generally takes between 8 months and a year. Provided the case isn’t overly severe, Invisalign can often treat the following cases:
- Gapped teeth
- Crowded teeth
To determine if you’d make a good Invisalign candidate, you’ll need to set up a consultation with a dentist or orthodontist who supports Invisalign. You can also take an Invisalign Assessment Test, but know that only a certified expert can tell you with certainty whether or not you are a good candidate.
People are always looking for a way to improve their image, especially in these days of runaway social media. Start with your smile. These simple procedures will improve your selfie and your self-esteem.